B19 - Concentration Camp
KZ Dachau – 1933 till 1945
On order of the head of the political police in Bavarians and police president of Munich, Heinrich Himmler, on March 22nd 1933 a concentration camp for masculine prisoners near of Dachau near Munich was build. Dachau was model for all later concentration camps. The first prisoners in Dachau were political opponents of the NS regime: Communist, social democrat, trade unionists, partial too broadminded and conservative politicians. Criminals, testifying Jehovas, engaged Christians, Sinti and Roma, homosexual as well as above all Jew followed later. Alone according to the pogrom night from the 9./10 November 1938 brought the protective echelon (SS) 10.000 Jewish prisoners according to Dachau. SS-medical professions began in winter 1942 in Dachau with medical experiments on prisoners. 1942/43 the SS in the crematory of Dachau order a construct called "gas chamber". All Jewish prisoners of the warehouse were from October 5th 1942, in agreement with Himmler in his function as Reichsführer-SS, deported to Dachau . On April 29th 1945 Dachau was freed from American units. Between 1933 and 1945 over 200.000 people were in Dachau arrested. At least 30.000 prisoners registered by warehouse management came in Dachau around life.
Mauthausen 1938 till 1945
The task of the first prisoners was it to build the first 4 huts and to work in the quarry. Some months later the warehouse had already 14 huts and a majority of the prisoners was used in the quarry. These first 20 huts were built in 1938 to 1940. Warehouse II consisted of huts 21 to 24 and was built in 1941 and warehouse III only consisted of 6 huts and was built in spring in 1944. In the south of the warehouse, addition there where still transferred to itself sickbeds. This sickbeds were first also mentioned „Russenlager" since it was built actual in October 1941 for Soviet prisoners of war. In spring 1944, 9.000 prisoners were counted in the main bearing, of which almost the half in the Sanitätslager vegetated. End of January 1945 managed the most ones from the KZ Auschwitz and prisoners into the Sanitätslager "evacuated" in the course of February from Groß-Rosen and Sachsenhausen. The arrival of the evacuated prisoners from the Wiener camps and from Niederdonau in April once again intensified the situation. In the basement of the district, a third combustion furnace was put into operation.